The best way to explain the various steps in designing a SAP script is to
visualize the creation of a document. The entire process is explained as a
series of steps.
Let us assume that we need to design the document
Invoice.doc for the ABC Company Limited.
- Understand the structure of the document that needs to be generated page
- Find out the different pages that form the document.
- Decide the FIRST page of the document and the pages that are going to
- Find out the various fonts and styles (bold, italics, etc) that are used
in the document.
- Also try to group the data printed on the document into logical parts.
- Create all the character strings that have been used in the document
- Create all the paragraphs that have been used in the document
- Create all CONSTANT the windows that have been uniquely identified in
- Identify the MAIN window of the every page of the document
- Define the pages that form the parts of the document
- Assign the windows to each page
- Define the text elements within each window
- Use function module OPEN_FORM to open the layout set.
- Use function module WRITE_FORM to write the text elements in various
- Use function module CLOSE_FORM to close the layout set
Always remember to check and activate the
layout set when any change is done to it, otherwise the change will not appear
on the output document that is printed!!!